A Cake mixture
- 6 oz self raising flour (Jeromy says "I use 10 oz")
- 6 oz semolina
- 6 oz butter
- 3 oz demerara sugar (Jeromy says "I use mostly white and a bit of brown)
B Date mixture
- 1/2 lb dates, stoned and chopped
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Mix the B ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently stirring occasionally.
- Boil it until smooth (2 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Now do the A ingredients. Heat the butter in another pan with the sugar.
- When it is melted add the flour and semolina, and mix.
- Press half the A mixture into the tin.
- Spread the date mixture over.
- Add the remainder of the A mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (NB what temperature?)
- Cool and cut into bars.