8 oz bought gluten free biscuits (doesn't much matter how horrible or tasteless they are; they can be ginger or lemon flavoured or just plain).
4 oz best salted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Some raisins/cherries/nuts/marshmallows/dates/mixed peel or whatever you fancy (not maltesers: they have wheat in them): about a handful of these things or more if you like.
8 oz bar of good chocolate, plain is best.
- Put the biscuits into a strong plastic bag and bash them into small pieces with a mallet.
- Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a pan and warm them together until melted.
- Add the cocoa and throw in the biscuit pieces and the other bits and pieces.
- Mix to a stiff mixture.
- Grease a square or oblong tin (small swiss roll tin) or plastic box with good butter, and press the mixture into it. Flatten the top.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a small basin. Warm the basin of chocolate in a pan of water, until nicely melted.
- When the chocolate is nice and runny pour it over the warm mixture in the tin, and let it set.
- Cool in the fridge. Cut into pieces with a knife.