6 oz black treacle
4 oz brown sugar
5 oz butter
3/4 pint of milk
6 oz plain flour
10 oz medium oatmeal
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
- Put a pan on the stove and add the treacle, sugar, butter and milk. Heat until the mixture is melted.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Weigh up the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pan and stir briskly.
- Add the beaten egg to the pan and beat well until smooth.
- Grease a large loaf tin or deep square tin (7" square), and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for one hour at 350º F, 180ºC, Gas 4, Fan oven 160.