Potatoes, at the rate of about 6oz per person.
Goose fat, a dob or two.
- Heat the oven to medium or hot.
- Peel the potatoes (or leave the skins on if you like). Cut them into even sized pieces.
- Put the fat in a roasting tin, and put the tin in the oven to get hot. If you haven't got goose fat, you can use the fat collected from any other roast joint, or roast them round a joint you're roasting for dinner.
- Take the tin of fat out of the oven and place the potatoes into the hot fat carefully. Use cooking tongs to turn them over a few times so all sides are coated in fat. If there isn't enough fat to do this you may need to add a bit more, but don't overdo it!
- Put the tin in the oven and keep the heat as before, medium to hot.
- After about 20 minutes take it out and turn the potatoes with the tongs. You can do this again once more later in the cooking if you like.
- The potatoes should be cooked in about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Garlic cloves or pine nuts and other root vegetables can be roasted along with the potatoes.