1 lb flour
1 tsp salt
half an ounce of fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 oz butter
1 egg at room temperature
8 fl oz milk
- Put the yeast into a cup and add the sugar. Stir them together a bit and then leave them to get excited.
- Weigh up the flour into a large bowl and add the salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Measure up the milk in a measuring jug and warm it in the microwave to a bit more than lukewarm.
- Add the egg to the warm milk and beat them. If the liquid now measures less than half a pint add a little more milk to make it half a pint.
- Add this liquid, together with the now excited and liquified yeast mixture, to the flour and mix well together. Get your hands in and knead it to a soft and smooth dough.
- Leave the ball of dough in the bowl and put the whole bowl in a plastic bag. Leave it somewhere warm to prove for an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about half an inch thick. Cut out muffin sized rounds with the largest pastry cutter or a large tumbler.
- Heat the griddle to a good heat and bake the muffins on the griddle for at least 10 minutes each side. NB they are horrid if undercooked! Make sure the griddle is hot before you start.