6 oz shortcrust pastry
2 large cooking apples
3 oz sugar
2 oz softened butter
rind and juice of one lemon
- Line a pie plate with the pastry. (We use the pyrex pie plate or a small flan dish)
- Peel the apples
- Grate the flesh of the apples into a basin (it's best to leave the apples whole for grating: don't quarter them).
- Add the sugar, beaten egg, butter, lemon rind and juice and mix well.
- Put this mixture into the pastry case.
- Bake at 375ºF, 190ºC, gas mark 5, Fan oven about 170º, for circa 35 minutes.