- 175 g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- grated rind of half a lemon (optional)
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 75 g porridge oats
- 175 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease 2 large baking trays.
2. Put the butter and golden syrup into a pan, with the lemon rind if desired, and heat over a low heat, stirring until all melted and combined.
3. Take pan off heat and add the flour, oats, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Stir, if necessary also knead with your hands, until you have a smooth dough.
4. Turn out onto a clean surface and form into about 28 small balls, about 2cm thick.
5. Place the balls on the baking trays, well apart from each other as they spread significantly. Press the tops to flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and using a pallet knife vel sim., transfer to a cooling rack.