2 1/4- 2 1/2 lbs prepared fruit
3 lbs granulated sugar
1-2 pints of water
- Warm enough clean jars for about 5 lbs of jam (put them in a low heat oven).
- Put the fruit and water in the large preserving pan and simmer gently until the fruit is soft (about 30 minutes). Add a little water to prevent the fruit from burning if necessary.
- Stir in the sugar.
- When the sugar has dissolved, boil the jam hard, but not so hard that it boils over.
- Test for setting after about ten minutes of fast boiling, and/or use a jam thermometer.
- When setting point is reached, draw it off the heat to a safe place for pouring into jars.
- Use a warm jug to scoop jam out of the pan and pour into the pots. Screw on the lids firmly before the jam is cold.
- Clean the sticky off the outside of the jars with a hot wet cloth, and then label the jars when cool and dry.