- About six slices of bread, white or brown. Stale baguettes are good but you'll need lots of slices if so!
- Lots of butter (salted variety is best)
- A handful of sultanas, currants or raisins
- Two eggs, made up to one pint with full cream milk
- Two tablespoons of demerara sugar or white sugar
- Spice etc if desired.
- Butter an ovenproof dish.
- Cut the crusts off the slices of bread and butter them on one side.
- Cut them into irregular shapes and lay some in a layer on the bottom of the dish, butter side down. Sprinkle a few sultanas etc on.
- Lay another layer of bread and butter pieces, butter side up this time, and sprinkle with fruit again.
- Continue until all the bread is used up.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk and pour over the bread and butter layers.
- Leave to soak for an hour.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar, and a little spice if you like.
Bake for about 35 minutes in a moderate oven, at 350º F, 180º C, 160º for a fan oven and Gas mark 4. The pudding should be bouncy and not too runny in the middle, nor too brown at the edges.
Serve with cream and/or fruit.