One chicken cut into serving pieces or five chicken pieces
Juice of one lemon
Some chicken fat, oil or butter, about 3 tablespoons
a glass of dry white wine (optional)
a can of plum tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste diluted in 4 fl oz of water
1 large stick of cinnamon
3 whole cloves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley or watercress for garnish
- Rub the chicken pieces with the lemon juice. Allow to stand for a bit.
- Heat the fat in a heavy braising pot.
- Sauté the chicken till it's a light chestnut colour, turning with tongs.
- Warm the wine and pour it into the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bury the cinnamon stick and cloves among the chicken pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer over the lowest possible heat for 1 1/2 hours or more (or transfer to a medium slow oven to finish the cooking).