1 oz dripping or oil
1 lb red cabbage, shredded
1 large onion peeled and sliced
1 cooking apple peeled and sliced
2 tbsp stock, or water, or apple or orange juice
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
a little pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
(raisins, sultanas or a little spice can be added if desired)
- Choose a large pan (not uncoated aluminium).
- Melt the dripping in the pan and add the chopped onions.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Put on the lid and cook gently for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, with pork, sausages, steak and kidney pudding or other traditional fare.