Makes about three jars.
1 lb sugar
8 oz butter
- Find a large mixing bowl, made of glass, plastic or china (not metal).
- Put the pat of butter in the mixing bowl and warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it.
- Add the grated rind and juice of the lemons to the bowl.
- Add the sugar.
- Put the bowl in the microwave again and heat it for a minute or two till it's all runny. Stir it.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture with a hand whisk (or a fork would probably do okay) until it's all smooth and a consistent colour and consistency all through.
- Microwave for 30 seconds on full power. Remove and whisk the mixture again.
- Repeat step 7 for as many times as required (about 7-8 times) until the mixture becomes thick and creamy. It must not boil. Use medium power for the last one or two sessions if you are anxious about going too far.
- Pot into warm glass jam jars, and screw on the lids while it is still hot (or use the traditional wax paper and cellophane jam covers).
- Use within about 4 weeks. May need to be refrigerated after opening depending on how fast you eat it.