Yield: 20-24 oatcakes
- Preheat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Put the oats, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Make a well, pour in the lard and stirring with a wooden spoon, add in enough of the hot water to make a stiff dough.
- Knead it for a while to make it come smoothly together, then roll out as thinly as you can.
- Cut into triangles or rounds.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are turning golden-brown and the oatcakes themselves are firm (they'll crisp up on cooling).
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.