1 lb currants
1 lb sultanas
1 lb raisins
8 oz dates, without stones
8 oz mixed peel
2 ox glace cherries
1 lb cooking apples
8 oz shredded suet
4 oz chopped almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
One lemon: grated rind and juice
5 fl. oz. brandy
- Peel the apples and grate them into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the dried fruit, peel and cherries into small pieces.
- Add the fruit, suet, nuts, spices to the grated apples.
- Add the lemon rind and juice and stir thoroughly
- Measure out the brandy and add it to the mixture.
- Let all the family stir and make a wish.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in a cool place to stand for two days.
- Stir the mixture and pack it into jars with airtight screw lids.
- Leave to mature for 2 weeks.