500g parsnips 1lb
250g onions 8 oz
25g butter 1 oz
25-50g cheese, grated 1-2oz
a 1 litre/2 pint ovenproof dish, greased.
Preheat oven to 190ºC, 375ºF, gas mark 5.
- Top and tail the parsnips, peel them and slice them thinly.
- Place the parsnips in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the parsnips.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and fry the onions until they are soft and golden—about 8 minutes.
- Layer the parsnips and the onions in the greased dish.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the top is nicely browned.