- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or just use vanilla sugar)
- 175g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 heavily heaped tablespoon of golden syrup
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
Next, in a big mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar (and vanilla), salt and bicarbonate of soda.
Add the cocoa-butter-water mixture gradually, and beat together.
Next, add the golden syrup, and finally add the eggs, continuing to beat. You should have a fairly soft (dropping) cake mixture by the end.
Put this mixture into several (at least 12, more like 24) individual cupcake cases, filled 3/4 full, or alternatively into one large greased/lined cake tin. Bake at 180 ºC (160 for a fan oven) for 20 mins (longer for a large cake).
Ice with your favourite frosting and decorate.