8 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 oz butter
6 oz lard
1 pint milkOven 375ºF, 190C, Gas mark 5, Fan oven 170º.
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp ground rice
4 oz sugar
2 oz butter
pinch of mixed spice
- Reserve a small amount of the milk, and boil the rest with the bay leaf.
- Mix the remaining milk with the ground rice, and add this mixture to the boiling milk.
- Cook for three minutes.
- Add the sugar, butter and spice and leave to cool to lukewarm.
- When it is cool, add the beaten eggs. But meanwhile, make the pastry:
- Make pastry with the flour, baking powder, butter and lard, and enough cold water to make a firm dough.
- Line some large patty tins with the pastry.
- Pour the milk mixture into the pastry-lined tins.
- Sprinkle with currants.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Eat, hot or cold.